The following are excerpts of an article published on The Daily Beast by Barbie Latza on March 19, 2017.
On Friday, in an address to a group of priests at a Vatican workshop meant to bolster the skillset of a good confessor, Francis told them they “should not hesitate” to call on a Vatican-trained exorcist should they need one.
Cautioning on the common confusion between mental illness and true demon possession, he said priests should first consult psychiatric specialists, but not to rule out exorcism as a form of treatment.
“When the confessor becomes aware of the presence of genuine spiritual disturbances – that may be in large part psychic, and therefore must be confirmed by means of healthy collaboration with the human sciences – he must not hesitate to refer the issue to those who, in the diocese, are charged with this delicate and necessary ministry, namely, exorcists.”
The Catholic Church teaching makes the distinction. “Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church,” according to the Catholic Catechism teaching on the topic. “Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.”
Pope Francis did acknowledge growing satanic influence in the contemporary world.
- The following table gives the relative likelihood of causes behind being affected by ghosts (demons, devils, negative energies, etc.)
|Reason behind an attack by ghosts||%|
|1. To complete the give-and-take account between the ghost and the targeted person *||30|
|2. To try to fulfill the ghost’s desires||30|
|3. Because the ghost was angered by the person||10|
|4. To stop the spread of Spirituality undertaken by the targeted person||5|
|5. Visit to haunted places by the targeted person||4|
|7. Unknown or Misc.||21|
- Another key statistic is the driver behind ghost attack. In 90% of the cases where a ghost affects or possesses a person, it is because it has been ordered by a higher level ghost. Only in 10% of the cases does it attack a person on its own.
* give-and-take account – if the ghost has suffered unhappiness from the person, it will seek revenge.
If a person has a higher spiritual level, his defense against ghost attacks is stronger as a result of:
- His own spiritual strength
- Higher protection that he receives from God
Click on the following internet link to retrieve The Daily Beast’s full article.